Saturday, January 19, 2013

Fall/Winter Recap

Here we are in the beginning of 2013, last fall was a whirlwind.  Nick and Gabby have been busy with school and time just keeps on moving.

Gabby's focus on music gets stronger and stronger every year.  She wants to learn the guitar so she saved her money this summer and bought one. It's fun to watch her talents grow.

This year for Thanksgiving my family (my siblings) were invited to stay at my sister Julia's cabin at Bear Lake.  It was a lot of fun and with mild temperatures we golfed each day.  Her condition on the invite was that she didn't have to cook.  Well, that wasn't a problem.  I did the turkey, Joan did the pies and everyone who came brought some of their favorites.

A few years ago, I learned a process for cooking my turkey that has been popular and always pleased me. I have combined recipes from several sources to brine and roast and finally a gravy that surprisingly has gotten requested each year.  I say surprisingly because when people have asked what was in it, I assumed they wouldn't even try it.

Here are some photos from parts of the process I go through to roast my turkey:

Aromatics in the bottom of roasting pan

Place turkey on top
mix a combination of fried bacon, butter and chopped sage

cover turkey with mixture (slide some under the skin as well)
Roast at high temp for about 30 minutes to brown skin

Cover Breast, lower temp and continue roasting

Now, for the gravy!

I got the gravy from Epicurious.com.  You can find it it at http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Smoky-Sage-and-Giblet-Gravy-103233
Turkey parts with veggies simmering low and slow

Turkey neck, heart and gibblets

Finished gravy is hearty and chunky


Joanie's Pecan, Pumkin and Apple Pies


After Thanksgiving, I fished from my float tube at an undisclosed location in Idaho.  Nick tied some awesome jigs for me that brought in huge Browns.

First week of the deer hunt
Second week of the deer hunt


Duck hunting starts off warm enough to not wear a jacket
By the end of duck hunting, it is pretty cold.


Ice Skating in Salt Lake after Christmas

Nick on the ice

No comments: