Thursday, October 15, 2009

HOLY COW...er ...HOLY EDIFICE!  Brigham City gets a temple!

First session of General Conference was about a week and a half ago, it was also opening day for duck and goose hunt. Mike Young, a friend in the ward invited me to hunt with him and I told him I needed to be back by 10 and he said he did too. The hunt was fun but unsuccessful. Thats ok, it was fun to be outdoors, soon it will be too cold and snowy. Anyway I got back right about 10am and conference started, as I changed my clothes and got ready to come watch, president Monson began to speak so Joan paused the TV so I could hear all his talk.
I sat down and began watching and he started talking about temples and how 83% of all church membership live within 200 miles of a temple and how that percentage is growing as they build more temples. He said he was happy to announce 5 new temples to be built. The first one on the list was BRIGHAM CITY, UTAH! I couldn't believe it, we were speechless. Needless to say, I am VERY EXCITED!
 
 

I have played violin with the community symphony for several (5, 6, 8,??) years now. Its pretty much the only chance I take to play my violin. I have also served on the board of the symphonic society as representative to the adult symphony. The Lake Bonneville Symphonic Society manages the Lake Bonneville Community Symphony (adults), Lincoln Youth Chamber Orchestra (string players with 2-5 years experience) and Lincoln Youth Symphony (more advanced youth players). I have been invited to take on the role of Executive Director for this organization. This is kind of a management role and will interface with all orchestras and the board to keep the groups going. There is substantial financial stress as the economy has been stretched and philanthropic foundations have cut back on their grant awards. This will be a challenge but it is a special group to me. Gabby plays in Lincoln Youth Chamber Orchestra and has played with me in the adult symphony as well.

No comments: